Thursday, June 30, 2022

As I See It #9

In light of recent events and with a different perspective than I used to have, I can see that in the past I had a set of assumptions about my country that I now question.

Most fundamentally, I never wondered about the durability and permanence of America as a democracy.  I assumed our institutions were strong.  I assumed we were a country that honored the rule of law.  I assumed that even though I may disagree with this or that happening right now, in the end things will turn out OK.

Back in the day I was often a critic, but I see now that my unconscious assumptions left me unaware about possible threats to our basic way of life.  I could say "It can't/won't happen here" and really mean it.

The veil has been lifted.  These days the threats are palpable, real.  The Supreme Court is radically conservative.  The Congress is gridlocked.  The Executive Branch has little power.  So the checks and balances that we count on to maintain our democracy aren't working.  If there is light at the end of this tunnel I can't see it.

I'd like to say that it isn't too late to save what we hold dear.  But saying it won't make it real.  Action is needed.  Constructive action and a strong dose of courage!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home