Monday, May 09, 2022

Looking for the Light!

Inside my bubble there is much to be grateful for and not much to complain about.  But when I look outside I see darkness.

The country I grew up in is gone, and I miss it.  Even when we fell short, which was often, we stood for something grand, ennobling.  We had reason to be proud of being American.  But now:

We are bitterly partisan.  We argue as enemies, not as people with whom we disagree but can respect.

We don't trust our institutions.  You name it, Congress, the Supreme Court, elections, even the CDC, the world's gold standard for health care, is disrespected,

I would have thought than in the face of an pandemic that threatens everyone we would have come together.  But no, everything is an excuse to demonize the other - masks, vaccinations, schools, mandates, etc.

We've done a little better on Ukraine and I can see some common views on opposing Russia and their barbarism.  But it's not enough.

I don't spend much time outside my bubble, so I protect myself from directly confronting the darkness.  But I know it's there and it saddens me.  I haven't totally given up, so I'll continue to look for the light, but today it seems like a lonely search!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home