Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Democracy at Risk!

Tomorrow is January 6.  So it is not surprising that the commentators and pundits are focused on remembering the violence of that day a year ago and opining about the impact it has had on our national psyche.

Nor is it surprising that many, myself included, are wondering whether this country can survive for long as a democracy.  I have written that our democratic institutions are under attack and seem vulnerable.  And I have written that the next civil war is not in the future but is underway now.

What is missing for me is a potent counterattack by those who see the threat and worry that America as we have known it may not survive.  It is like they are using rational arguments and invoking peaceful and constitutional actions to counter a group of armed thugs who brook no dissent and are committed to destroying the structure.

So am I arguing for a violent response to the threat?  If it comes to that and it is the last resort, maybe I am.  I'd rather see those of us who treasure liberty and democracy go down fighting than go down with a whimper.  But before it comes to that I want to see a more passionate response from the good guys.

Until recently I had an assumption that the American ideal was secure.  That our democracy was safe.  I no longer assume this.  Action is called for - now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home