Wednesday, June 15, 2022

As I See It #6

I'm asking myself how much my attitude toward various things is affected by my age.  For example, I've noticed that when I read about climate change and how much the temperature is going to rise, say, by the year 2050, a quiet internal voice tells me that I'll be long gone, so how much should I really care.

My enlightened default position is that I am a caring person so this should matter to me even if I'm long gone.  But notice, the question comes up whether I like it or not.

The same issue rears its ugly head as I observe what seems to be the inevitable demise of America as a successful democracy.  Our democratic institutions seem weak.  Our deadlocked partisan divide make solutions to our problems impossible.  It's easy for me to bemoan the path we are on, but then again my quiet internal voice wonders whether I should really care.  We've had a good run.  I've been the beneficiary of America being #1.

If I were 25, or even half my age, 45, would I be entertaining these thoughts?  I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.  A more relevant question is should I empower my quiet internal voice and check out or remove myself from the conversation because I won't be alive to live with whatever happens?  

The honest answer?  I don't know.  For now, I'll stay in the question and let the process unfold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home