Wednesday, June 08, 2022

As I See It - #5

I've asked myself why, when I look at the world around me, I often come to the conclusion that it's going in the wrong direction.  Things look bad and they're getting worse.

Maybe I'm just out of date, a cranky old man.  That could be, but its not the whole story.  After all, I organized my life so that I had a chance to make a difference.  I was proud of my country.  I was an optimist.  I had high ideals and was willing to work hard to see them realized.

So, I ask myself, what happened?  Here's a possible answer:  I feel betrayed.  And feeling betrayed is a very strong emotion.  My youthful idealism has not come to pass.  Was I wrong way back then to have had my ideals?  If I wasn't wrong, is there some one or some thing to blame?

The world is the way it is these days, whether I like it or not.  So on the one hand its a waste of time and energy to complain about it.  On the other hand I can retain my ideals in the face of the way it has turned out.  From the perspective of today I can empower a feeling of hopelessness, which doesn't seem very useful, or I can be true to myself, irrespective of the circumstances outside of my bubble.

So at least for today that's what I choose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home