Friday, April 13, 2018

Home Sweet Home!


Back after four weeks in Asia.  My question is “Did anything really change while I was away?” 
Answer:  Not really!

The details may be slightly different, but the fundamentals are consistent.  The issues that had our attention a month ago have our attention today.  The arguments sound familiar.  The faces haven’t changed much.  All this is no surprise.  I’ve noticed the same phenomena after returning from past trips.

I did notice one possible change, however.  It seems that the U.S. may not withdraw from the Pacific trade deal.  I wouldn’t bet on this bit of common sense happening, but who knows, maybe?

This relates to my overall sense of what’s happening in Asia.  I didn’t do in-depth research on my trip, but my time in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hanoi, Hong Kong and Shanghai left me with one overarching conclusion.  These countries are on the move, big time.  Their economies are booming, construction cranes dot the horizon in every direction, the people have a positive outlook.  We can choose not to play in their game, but if we do we’ll be the losers.

Urban areas, especially in Hong Kong and Shanghai, look like a scene from a science fiction film set in the future.  If you can’t spread out, build up, and they have.  Tall and taller buildings, places of business during the day turn into a fairyland of lights and visuals at night.  The only thing missing is flying vehicles taking people from place to place.

I love my travels.  I love being at home even more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home