Monday, March 07, 2016

Spotlight!

I watched “Spotlight” the other day.  Very well done.  A story that needed to be told intelligently and sensitively and it was.  I wouldn’t have given it my Best Picture vote (that would have gone to “Room”) but that’s beside the point.

Even though kids are not my favorite creatures (too demanding and self-centered for my taste), there is something about pedophiles preying on the innocent that infuriates me.  For these people, almost any punishment short of the death penalty seems appropriate.

That these particular pedophiles clothed themselves literally and figuratively in Roman Catholic Church garb makes their crimes even more heinous.  They took advantage of both innocence and faith and robbed their victims of both.  Shameful!


I have no doubt that even though recent exposures have brought all this into the light of day and put it under public scrutiny we’ve still only seen the tip of the iceberg.  We can’t go back and change centuries of abuse, denial and cover-up.  But we need to shine a continuing Spotlight on what is still a horror show that goes way beyond Catholics and their brethren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home