Friday, December 09, 2016

John Glenn!

It’s interesting how someone comes along who captures the imagination and appreciation of a nation.  John Glenn was such a person.

I was in Washington training for an overseas assignment in the Foreign Service when he made his Mercury flight in 1962.  Later, in an act that was out of character for me, I waited with thousands of others to cheer him on his parade route through the nation’s capitol.  For me he was a true hero and deserved to be acknowledged.

A few years later I was working with Ambassador Chester Bowles in India when John Glenn with his wife Annie came to town.  At a small private dinner my wife Kit and I had a chance to be with the Glenn’s up close.  It was a memorable opportunity.


We could use a few more heroes like John Glenn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home