Thursday, October 01, 2015

Putin!

I just watched Charlie Rose’s long interview with Vladimir Putin.  At the risk of being politically incorrect, I have to say I was impressed.

As I began watching I was conscious of how much baggage I was carrying with me – opinions, presuppositions and conclusions – mostly negative, about Putin and Russia.  So I was surprised when I found myself responding positively to the persona, if not the views, of this guy.

I thought he was very well informed, articulate, thoughtful and on occasion likeable.  I thought about the two dozen or so people currently running for president and wondered if any of them would have been able to handle the breadth and substance of such an interview as effectively.  Not a chance.


I haven’t all of a sudden become head of the Putin fan club.  But I do have a level of respect for him that I didn’t have before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home