Thursday, August 13, 2015

Being Grateful!

Bad news gets the headlines.  They bombard me every day.  Murders, wars, indiscriminate killings, floods, accidents, refugees – it never ends.  To steal from Peggy Lee’s song I could say,  “Is that all there is?”  Especially as I grow older and am a little weary, even cynical, good news does indeed seem to be in short supply.

But really, is that all there is?  In “The Little Prince,” St. Exupery tells me: “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”  So, to conclude that’s all there is before I’ve given myself a chance to discover other gifts that will enrich my life is a tragic missed opportunity. 

These gifts belong to me, but I keep them stored away in the closet, unwrapped.  Failing to acknowledge them costs me, and it doesn’t have to be this way.  I can be aware of and grateful for the gifts that I sometimes don’t see, take for granted, or ignore.  How?  By being aware of and grateful for them.


To be continued . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home