Friday, May 03, 2013

Fads!


What is it about fads that cause many people to buy into them, to be part of the crowd that embraces this or that fad?

They come in many forms:
n  A Christmas toy that I must get for my kid
n  A movie I’ve got to see
n  The latest iPhone or iPad or Android phone or whatever mobile device is hot
n  That really cool new ice cream flavor
n  The latest, greatest diet, guaranteed to help you slim down
n  Blaming Muslims for everything that is wrong in the world
n  Blaming Obama for everything that is wrong in the world
n  And on and on and on . . .

There are many possible explanations for the fad phenomenon:
n  I want to demonstrate that I’m leading the way, not lagging behind
n  I want to be part of the ‘in’ crowd
n  All my friends are doing it
n  If I don’t they’ll think I’m old fashioned
n  Peer pressure

How about those who deliberately avoid fads:
n  I’ll prove I’ve got a mind of my own
n  I don’t blindly follow the crowd
n  It’s a temporary mania and will be old news soon
n  It’s an advertising gimmick
n  This craze is mass idiocy

Will fads go away any time soon?  Not a chance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home