Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Year/Decade End!


In a few hours it’ll be 2020.  A New Year.  A New Decade.  A time in which many are taking stock.

I find there is a lot more looking back than looking forward.  Most Memorable Moments.  Best film.  How new technology changed our lives.  Worst film.  Advances in medicine.  Best TV show.  Person of the Year/Decade.  Worst TV show.  Etc.

I choose to live in the present and look forward.  The problem with my choice is that what occurs to me first, what looms ahead most ominously, is all the bad stuff.  The outlook for what matters most to me is dismal.  The list is long:

Human rights
The environment
The rule of law
A democratic form of government
Freedom – of thought and action
Tolerance for the other
Personal safety
And more . . .

What matters most are under attack and are not winning.  In the past I’ve had a basic assumption that even if it looks bad it’ll all turn out OK.  In the end the good guys will win.  More and more in the past Year/Decade my basic assumption looks less likely to happen.

Is it really hopeless?  Thankfully, I’m not willing to give up yet.  I’m willing to be skeptical but am not ready to let hopelessness win.  Not today.  And not in the Year/Decade that begins tomorrow.

Onward . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home