Friday, September 13, 2019

Debate!


I watched the Democratic debate last night.  Bottom line: It won’t change much.

There were no positive magic moments that propelled anyone out of the crowd.  There were no major mistakes that doomed a candidate’s chances.  Significant opposing positions, except for health care, were not evident.

So if there were no major substantive differences, what were the takeaways?  Was it a waste of time?  I don’t think so.  I was surprised that my main takeaway was a positive feeling about the group.  Critical pundits will harp on this or that mistake or failing or weakness.  But I felt good about the overall quality of what I saw and heard.

While the spotlight was on Biden, Warren and Sanders, the questioners did a good job of making sure that the other seven had a chance to express themselves.  And the questions were good ones, especially final one, which gave each candidate the opportunity to say something that wasn’t memorized or scripted.

So I was impressed.  A good result and reason to be hopeful about the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home