Thursday, June 06, 2019

D-Day!


I was 11 years old on June 6, 1944.  By then most of my conscious life had been lived during a time of war.  That’s what consumed us.  I wondered what people would talk about, what the news of the day would be, if we didn’t have the war.  Later, of course, I was to find that there is always stuff people want to talk about, often petty, but enough to pass as news.

I don’t remember specific details from that long ago June day, but I do remember a feeling I had as we learned about what was happening on those French beaches.  It was pride.  I was proud that the good guys were beating the bad guys.  I was proud it was America leading the way.  It felt like we all had a part in making this happen, we were united with our friends and neighbors, united as Americans.

Seventy-five years later it is different.  We are not united.  We are not leading the way.  We are not a country to be proud of.  To much of the world we are the bad guys.  I don’t like it this way.  I’d like to have my boyhood pride back.  Will that happen?  I wouldn’t say never, but I’m not optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home