Saturday, May 11, 2019

Ransom!


Recently I saw a TV story about how hackers are threatening organizations unless they pay a ransom to protect their computer systems.  It’s a big business – and growing.

Then the other day I received an email from someone saying they had hacked my computer and unless I paid them $1500 they would reveal the contents of my computer on social media and destroy my privacy.

I had already taken steps to provide double layer security for my most important information, and as for the rest of it – go for it I say.  I’m not worried about being embarrassed.

I am told that the email I received is most likely a phishing expedition, a scam meant to scare me into paying someone to stop a threat that doesn’t exist.  I don’t know for sure whether that is true or not.  I do know that it is disconcerting to see firsthand how vulnerable we all are in this cyber-based world.

The alternative is to revert to life as it used to be.  But that isn’t going to happen.  So for now the best we can be is vigilant and take seriously the reality that failsafe security is a fantasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home