Friday, July 06, 2018

Speculation!


I read a lot – newspapers, magazines, online reporting.  As I go through these news sources I’ve noticed that there are some stories I skip, that don’t interest me.  What, I’ve asked myself, do these uninteresting pieces have in common?  One answer is “speculation.”  I’m not interested in what someone guesses might be going on or might happen.  For example:

Speculation about what Donald Trump thinks or why he may be thinking this, that or the other thing, is a waste of time.  Trying to rationally analyze what is an irrational process is a ‘don’t bother’ for me.

Speculation about what will happen in an upcoming election isn’t worth my time.  Wait until it happens and then talk about it.

Speculation related to the judicial process is usually boring.  What a judge or jury is going to conclude is just an opinion, often uninformed, by someone who probably doesn’t know any more about the subject than I do.

Speculation about rumors of upcoming trades in any sport can be titillating but is usually off the mark and of no value to either a casual or avid fan.

Speculation about the weather is useless.  Its either going to rain or it isn’t.  Its either going to be really hot (or cold) or it isn’t.  Preparations based on weather forecasting might be important if a hurricane is headed your way, but those events are the exception, so believing what your friendly weatherman has to say is a crapshoot.

Finally, speculation about the financial world is not only a waste of time, its risky.  If you think you can guess what the market is going to do tomorrow because of some tip you’ve heard or what some ‘expert’ thinks is going to happen, you better be prepared to flush your assets down the toilet.  Follow my lead, and don’t pay attention to such speculative stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home