Friday, June 17, 2016

Routines!

Routines are a blessing and a curse.  They are useful insofar as they support us in doing useful things.  They are not useful insofar as they lock us into rote behavior that becomes a matter of “I have to” rather than “I’m choosing to do this.”

I notice I have many routines:

I read three newpapers in the morning.
I watch Charley Rose every day.
I make lists of things to remember.
I alternatively read two books at a time – one fiction and one non-fiction.
I alternatively watch two lectures a week from two of The Great Courses syllabus.
I am consciously grateful every day for my blessings.
And more . . .

Every once in a while I step back, look and assess these routines.  Am I their prisoner?  Should I change my ways?  Looking at oneself can be an exercise is self-justification.  Its easier not to challenge my assumptions than it is to take a hard, honest look.

In the end I can’t know for sure whether I’m really telling the truth to myself.  But that’s no reason for not trying. 

On the other hand, deep introspection is not necessary.  I can simply ask myself, “Does this routine give me pleasure?  Is it satisfying?”  If the answer is “Yes,” I’m probably on the right track

1 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

I'd say given your history & status in life you're definitely on the right track

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home