Thursday, August 14, 2014

Footie!

The football season begins Saturday.  No, not the NFL, the real footie season, beginning with the English Premier League and then moving on to Spain, Italy and the rest later this month.

I think Real Madrid will be dominant in Spain.  They’ve just got too much talent.  I read that the team they played in the Super Cup this week (which won 2-0 against Sevilla) represented $650 million in transfer fees.  Spending a lot of money doesn’t guarantee success, but it does give you a leg up on the competition.  I hope Barcelona surprises me and wins, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’m not sure about Italy.  Can Juventus win its 4th Scudetto in a row?  I hope so but doubt it.  I think the other big teams have strengthened themselves and will be serious challengers.

In Germany it’ll be Bayern Munich again.  And PSG in France.

It should be a good season in England.  Manchester United will rebound strongly.  Chelsea will be in contention.  Manchester City will be good, but not good enough to win the title.  Arsenal the same – good but not good enough.  I don’t have a good feeling about Liverpool.  I’d like them to win, but without Suarez they are missing a dominant player.  Tottenham?  I don’t think so.  Everton?  Maybe in the top six but probably not.  So I’m left with Man U and Chelsea as the most likely winners. 

With more and more TV coverage of European football it will be a good season for the growing American audience.  I’m looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home