Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Exorcism Redux

The title of the article is “Exorcism Making Comeback in Europe.”

The subtitle: “As more people are plagued by evil, priests say, the need grows to battle demons.”

This makes me crazy. It’s enough to destroy my serenity as I sip my morning coffee and look out to marvel at the deep reds that enlighten the Golden Gate as the sun rises. Makes me nuts.

This morning’s story, which appeared originally in the Washington Post, focuses on Catholics in Poland who plan to build a “spiritual oasis” dedicated to performing exorcisms. A sacred place where Satan, the devil, demons, evil spirits, whatever, will be driven from the bodies of those poor creatures who are plagued by evil.

Rev. Jankowski, an exorcism expert, says that typical cases include people who turn away from the church and embrace New Age therapies, alternative religions or the occult. Internet addicts and yoga devotees are also at risk.

Omigod, the devil’s after everyone. No one is safe. Lock the doors. Get offline. Light a candle. DO something.

Are we back in the Middle Ages? Is that the odor of a witch being burned or is someone flatulent around here? Is the Black Plague right around the corner? This must be some kind of joke. Just a few Catholics putting us on. Then I did a little research and found that I may be in the minority on this one.

Exorcism isn’t limited to the Catholics. It’s everywhere.
The Anglicans are trained in exorcism.
The Episcopalians have a provision for exorcism.
The Pentecostals seem to love it.
The Mormons are skilled at casting out evil demons.
The Jews are not exempt. Bad dybbuks can get inside you, and if that happens,
gotta get rid of the little bugger.
The Hindus do it.
The Scientologists use exorcism to deal with body thetans.
Muslims who are possessed by evil jinns are candidates for an exorcism.
Taoists do it.
Shintos do it.

Doesn’t anybody not do it? I looked further. Hurray – I found something.
Sikhs don’t do it.
Jains don’t do it.

Whew! For a while I thought I was all alone. As it is, I’m just almost all alone.

To be fair, obviously exorcism isn’t an everyday practice akin to taking communion. But you never know – let those guys get their noses under our tents and who among us doesn’t have a wee bit of the demon inside that they’ll want to exorcise.

Like I say, it makes me crazy.

1 Comments:

Blogger JoanOfWork said...

hmmm...maybe you need a good confession--

exorcism is not scary or dangerous, relativism is---

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home