Monday, December 11, 2017

#MeToo!

The Trump and Roy Moore supporter from Alabama has an explanation:  “That was 40 years ago,” he says.  “Girls got married younger then.  My mother was 13 when she got married.  By the time she was 15 she had two kids.”  So that Roy Moore should have hit on teenagers is just the way it was then, what’s the problem?

And so on it goes.  The story of the year gets bigger and bigger, and it won’t stop any time soon.  Today’s bad boy is Mario Batali.  Yesterday it was somebody else.  Tomorrow it’ll be another somebody else.

Sometimes in our “Breaking News” driven society, the sound and fury dominates a news cycle and then disappears.  Will that be the fate of #MeToo?  I don’t think so.  This one has staying power.  In the future at least some men will behave differently than they might have done before #MeToo.  Some isn’t all, but it is better than none, and that’s a good thing.

I believe the women.  At a visceral level I can’t know the impact these men had on their lives, but I am happy they are speaking up – even those who called out one of my favorites, Charlie Rose.  I still think of his show as an oasis of sanity in this crazy and often distressing world and miss it every day.


-->
Bye, bye Charlie.  Hello #MeToo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home