Friday, July 15, 2016

Resigned!

Given the state of this country and the world it’s hard to know how to be.  Possibilities include:

Cynical:  As I grow older I find this is an easy default position.  “Things are going to hell in a hand basket,” (how old is that saying?) or “Forget it, nothing is going to change,” or “It’ll probably get worse before it gets better,” etc.

Pessimistic:  This is the glass is half empty position.  “I’d like to have a positive outlook, but, really, can’t you see that the water is going in the wrong direction?”

Hopeful:  “I know things don’t look good, but it has been worse than this and we came through OK.”

Not interested:  “I’m not paying attention anymore.  The media can’t be trusted.  The politicians can’t be trusted.  Businessmen can’t be trusted.  Why bother to try and sort out the lies?”

A Pollyanna:  “Don’t worry.  If you have a positive outlook things will get better.”

I confess that I often bounce around between cynical and pessimistic.  In recent times, however, I find myself just plain resigned.

Resigned:  It will all turn out the way it’s going to turn out.  I can’t change it.  What’s the worst that can happen?  Trump is elected?  The world won’t come to an end.  The terrorists blow up more and more people?  The world won’t come to an end.  Government dysfunction continues?  The world won’t come to an end.  We do nothing about climate change?  Oops!  In that case the world may indeed come to an end – or at least the part that’s alive. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home