Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oscars!


The Academy Award show was terrible.  I don’t have much to say about the awards themselves, since I haven’t seen many of the films.  For the terrible show I blame the writers and producers rather than the host, who was there to appeal to the 18 to 34-year-old audience.  If he is responsible for the offensive comments and segments, then fine, let’s blame him too.

I don’t mind irreverent jokes or taking on sacred cows – if it’s well done.  I saw little that was well done Sunday night.  Even if the stuff was meant to appeal to teenagers it missed the mark.  Insipid.  Boring.  Shallow.

One thing was wonderful, setting a gold standard for what the whole show should have been.  That was Barbra Streisand singing “Memories,” cued by Marvin Hamlisch’s death last year.  How nice it would have been if we’d had more moments like these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home