Saturday, January 19, 2013

Status Report!


What has or hasn’t my attention these days:

Not Lance Armstrong.  His soap opera doesn’t interest me.

Not Manti Te’o.  His soap opera doesn’t interest me.

The latest trouble spot(s) in Africa interest me.  It is blowing up all over the place.  Mali.  Algeria.  Sudan – still.  Congo – still.  Guinea Bissau.  There’s no end to it.

I’m bored by the pissing match between Obama and the Republicans over the debt ceiling and all the rest. 

I’m happy there has been positive movement on gun control.  However, I’m not confident that in the end meaningful legislation will pass.  Big business is threatened and with big bucks will oppose what should be done.

I’m surprised and impressed that Jerry Brown has managed to present a gimmick-free budget that is balanced and promises surpluses.  Go California!

I’m resigned to the reality that Israel’s election on Tuesday will further demonstrate their drift to the right.  They deserve what they get – disapproval from almost the entire world and further isolation.  At best, some here in the U.S. will wring their hands in despair, but our leaders don’t have the guts to do anything about it.  Soon, we won’t be able to influence them even if we want to.

What else am I resigned will or will not happen?

Will: Further deterioration of the environment.  And no positive steps on climate issues.

Will not: A reduction in the cost of health care in the foreseeable future.

Will not: Politicians who are more interested in the country’s future than in getting reelected.

Will not: Money having less influence on politics.

 Will: More and more terrorism everywhere.

That’s enough.  If I continue I could get depressed.

1 Comments:

Blogger JIM said...

It is easy to agree with you. It is hard to stay in denial in the face of so many facts and a history of 'more of the same'.... But fortunately, resignation is just a point of view and can be cured by creating possibilities where none exist and in doing so transform what seems inevitable into the raw material for building a better world. Yet, the older I get the more difficult it is to keep creating....some days I just want to roll over and let it all go to hell in a handbasket.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home