Saturday, October 28, 2006

Falling Behind?

Day to day I have my life set up pretty well. The services I need I can get without difficulty. The equipment I need to do what I want to do is in place. The miscellaneous paraphernalia that facilitate my existence are close at hand. So is there a problem?

Not a problem really, just a sense I have from time to time that I’m falling behind the curve in terms of what’s happening in the world around me. Here’s what I mean:

I have one cell phone that I keep in the car, and I use it rarely.
I don’t send instant messages to anyone.
No one sends instant messages to me.
I listen to music when I’m having dinner, in the morning in the bathroom and sometimes in the car, so I don’t have an iPod or any other such device.
I download music online infrequently.
I don’t download videos online.
I have a PC, not a laptop.
I don’t have a PDA.
I don’t have a Play Station or an Xbox.
I’ve never played a video game.
Etc.

In my defense I have to say that if I were still working and traveling a lot I’d have all the best tools to do my business successfully. But I have the feeling that even if that were the case I’d still be out-of-date with a lot of stuff. At this point I’m probably two generations behind.

Does it matter? I’ve always thought there was something grotesque about old people trying to be like younger people, trying to be ‘in’ with their language, clothes, attitudes, and the like. I’m left with the conclusion that people need to be real, need to be who they naturally are. So if I decide I want to play video games, fine. But I should do it because it’s what I want to do, not because I’m trying to be somebody I’m not.

In the meantime, how the hell do you work one of those PDAs anyhow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home