Monday, July 01, 2013

So What's New?

I just returned from a trip to Peru.  So what’s happened in the past three weeks?

One interpretation is that the world hasn’t changed much.  As it was before I left:

People are being blown up and killed in Syria, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
There is unrest in Turkey, Egypt, Brazil and elsewhere.
The gap between the rich and the poor in the U.S. is growing.
The Giants are struggling.
The Congress is dysfunctional.

Another interpretation is that there are hopeful indicators:

Supreme Court decisions on gay rights are a step in the right direction.
The Senate passed an immigration reform bill.
The economy is improving.
The new Iranian President hasn’t been bellicose.
We haven’t started any new wars.


I’m always amazed that when I come back to the real world after paying minimal attention to what’s going on I find that not much has changed.  Maybe that’s a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home