Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thoughts on a Birthday

Today is my 78th birthday. A few thoughts:

78 sounds old. If I use history as a guide, most people my age are dead.

I’m not dead and am still able to enjoy life fully.

Each day is a gift for which I am thankful.

I don’t jump out of bed enthusiastically in the morning. I think about the new day ahead with pleasure and then give my body a moment to uncreak before my feet hit the floor.

Of the three featured obituaries in the Times today only one was younger than I am. That’s a positive stat. Yesterday wasn’t such good news – four out of four died before they turned 78. I now notice such things.

I don’t look forward to birthdays. On the one hand I know that the difference between being 77 and 78 is only one day. However, it sounds like a whole year has gone by, which isn’t a sound I want to hear.

I sit down to read today’s paper. I notice it is Wednesday. Gee, I think, it seems like I just read Wednesday’s paper. A whole week has gone by. Quickly.

I like to think I’m up to date on what’s happening in the world. But what I know about Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga and other ‘in’ phenomena is minimal. And I’m happy inside my blissful cocoon of ignorance.

This is Day 4 of MillerFest, the weeklong celebration that Sandra puts together at birthday time. For her I do MarshWeek in November. I have no idea in advance what is going to happen. Today I am to be prepared for a 1 p.m. event, very casual dress.

Happy Birthday to Me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE
LOVE FROM,
NICK AND PAULETTE

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home