Friday, August 13, 2010

Today's Thoughts

No need to be profound or significant. Just a desire to sit down and say something.

Latest new toy has arrived – an iPhone4. Having resisted smartphones for years, I finally gave in. No need for a rationale, but I had one. With a built-in GPS and an appropriate app I could use it in Europe to tell me how to go through the maze to get from Point A to Point B in those confusing little (or large) towns. For decades, in the face of what in the moment seemed like overwhelming odds, we’ve managed to find our hotel and other destinations, but it hasn’t been easy. I’m tired of the struggle (and aggravation.) So an iPhone it is. And I have to say, after a couple of days of playing around, it is an extraordinary device.

The Premier League in England opens its new season tomorrow. I’ve put together my lineup for Fantasy Football. Ten teams are represented among the 15 players I’ve chosen. And I’m ready to kick ass again this year. I’ve programmed by DVR for the games on TV. I was surprised, and pleased, to see that between the Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer + and ESPN, 9 of the 10 games that will be played are being televised here. That’s an amazing turnabout from the way it used to be. In the old days, like 2 or 3 years ago, I lucky to find was any games to watch.

We were at the ballpark yesterday to see the Giants beat the Cubs 8-7. While exciting, it was harder than it should have been. We had a 7-3 lead after six innings, when Cain went out and the bullpen took over. They managed to squander the lead, and going to the bottom of the ninth the game was tied. But in the end the guys came through and we had a thrilling finale. The game featured back-to-back homers by Burrell and Sandoval. Sandoval put his ball into McCovey Cove, the 54th time a Giant has done that since the park opened in 2000. Later Burrell hit another, this one a grand slam that gave us that four run lead. As always, it was fun being at ATT Park. Big crowd. Sunny. I had my traditional hot link and Anchor Steam. Couldn’t ask for anything more, especially since the game ended as it did. It was our 5th game this season. We’re 3-2 so far. Beat the Phillies and Mets and lost to the Red Sox and Colorado.

I decided to do what I needed to do to have my book, “Look With the Heart,” available on Kindle. Turns out the process wasn’t all that difficult, and so there it is – downloadable in 60 seconds. Cool!

Personal dramas and traumas (I’ll spare you the details) have interfered with my blog output recently. So today’s non-profound, non-significant blurb was fun to do.

Later . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home