Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

In recent days I finished reading “War” by Sebastian Junger and coincidently watched “The Pacific,” the TV miniseries about our war against Japan. And I’m in the middle of re-watching “The Jewel in the Crown,” which is set in India during WW II. To top it off, yesterday I saw a story on TV about a soldier who had lost both arms and legs in an IED explosion in Iraq.

I did not consciously decide to focus on war-related media as a run-up to Memorial Day, but it happened – and now it is Memorial Day.

So instead of enjoying this day as an excuse to celebrate the start of summer, this year I am reminded that Memorial Day is about honoring those who have died in the service of their country. I invite you to join me and spend at least a few moments today to acknowledge and thank the men and women who have given their lives on our behalf.

1 Comments:

Anonymous NICK TRAINO said...

YOU ARE MISSING A PARAGRAGH:
THEY HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES SO THAT YOU AND I CAN SAY WHAT WE WANT,AND WHEN WE WANT, WITHOUT THE THE THREAT OF RETALIATION. WE OWE OUR FREEDOM TO THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR COUNTRY PROUDLY; SO WE CAN SPEAK OUR THOUGHTS FREELY AS YOU AND I DO.
NICK

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home