Friday, May 28, 2010

Only in California!

In November we California voters will have a chance to approve a proposition that will legalize recreational marijuana use by adults. I don’t know what the odds are that the measure will pass, but certainly it’ll have my vote.

But that’s not my ‘Only in California’ moment for today. The distinction belongs to a news item I read this morning telling me that a major labor union is organizing medical cannabis workers in Oakland. This move is an obvious precursor to a statewide organizing effort that will occur if we pro-pot voters prevail.

The union in the forefront of this creative initiative is the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5 in San Jose. They already have 26,000 members and are eager to embrace thousands more that may soon be working in the legal dope sector.

Full disclosure: Long ago when the world and I were young I was a member of the Retail Food Clerks Union in Alameda County. I worked for Lucky Stores as a checker. But that’s a tale for another day. Here the relevance is that grocery store employees dominate the grass organizers membership. So marijuana aside, I have an affinity for these toilers at the checkstand.

In this case, though, the possibilities go beyond the check out line. There is talk of unionizing the new cannabis-processing jobs that will come into existence. And what about the agriculture growing part of the business? And security guards where the goods are dispensed? And they are considering a job classification called ‘bud tender,’ a kind of pot sommelier who can cater to your particular needs and tastes. I love it!

So remember – if you live in California vote ‘yes’ on the Control and Tax Cannabis Initiative in November.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gail Moore said...

Well, good for you, Dan! I'll definitely be voting pro come November.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home