Friday, April 18, 2008

I Don't Care

Some days I sit down to read the papers and quickly realize that what I don’t care about outweighs the other stuff. That’s the way it is today. To wit:

I don’t care that the Pope has graced us with his presence. But I’d have to be in an isolation chamber all week to avoid the reverent fuss surrounding his visit. I guess it’s nice that tens of thousands of people can go to the ballpark for a Mass. And that Benedict is sorry that his sexual predators have behaved so badly. But really, I don’t care.

I don’t care that Jimmy Carter is meeting with leaders of Hamas. Or that, horror of horrors, he embraced one of them. I don’t know whether what he’s up to will do any good, but his willingness to open a dialogue isn’t the end of the world.

I don’t care that Obama is accused of being an elitist. He is, and he’s arrogant too, but so what? Better that than the fake “I’m just one of you,” bullshit that the pandering lady from Chappaqua tosses around as she tries to convince regular folks that she feels their pain.

I don’t care that HBO has fallen on hard times. Or that the Actor’s Guild might go on strike. Or that Katie Couric has bad ratings. Or that there are no big hits on TV this season.

I don’t care that Northwest and Delta merged. Or that Google did better last quarter than people thought they would. Or that executive pay is obscenely high. Or that a few hedge fund managers made $3 billion last year. Or that the Clintons made a lot of money in recent years. So what?

I don’t care that Roger Clemens is being investigated. I don’t care whether George Bush goes to the Olympics. I don’t care which Freshmen basketball players turn pro. I don’t care who the 49’ers draft this year.

Enough. I don’t care that I don’t care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home