Monday, February 10, 2014

Pundits!

It’s time for an assessment of NY Times Op-Ed and other columnists.

My favorites are David Brooks and Tom Friedman.  I’m impressed with the range of Brooks’ intellectual depth.  I’m not always interested in what he focuses on, but my own intellectual breadth is expanded when he dives into a subject that is new to me.  Even when I disagree with him, I am willing to consider his conservative political views seriously because he presents his points of view with serious, non-inflammatory precision.

Friedman has the ability to present complicated situations in creative, straightforward ways.  His common sense approach is most evident when he discusses the Middle East, his primary area of expertise.  He is sometimes a little smug and lets his ego get in the way, but I set that aside in order to benefit from the wisdom he brings to his columns.

I usually read Paul Krugman, even though his incessant drumbeat of dissing economic opinions with which he disagrees is hard to take.  Most often I’m on his side of the economic issues he raises.  It’s just, enough already Paul, I got it, is my response.

Maureen Dowd more often than not is a pain in the ass.  Except when she goes off on some female-oriented or Catholic diatribe I take the time to check her out.  I like her best when she sharpens her claws on some politician.  Her ability to eviscerate a target is second to none and fun to read.

Nick Kristof is usually worth reading even though I find him predictable.  I resonate with his focus on developing countries and what many would call ‘do good’ causes, even though his approach can be saccharine. 

Ross Douthat, the most predictably conservative Times pundit, is a good writer and very bright.  I read him when the subject interests me.

David Carr’s media column on Monday is a ‘must read’ for me.  Always an interesting take on subjects not usually covered elsewhere.

Joe Nocera I read more often than not.  He got my attention when he started taking on the NCAA and its feudal approach to college athletics.

Gail Collins, Frank Bruni and Charles Blow I read less often than not.  Just don’t find what they have to say very interesting.

Bill Keller, who I heard today will be leaving the Times, has been writing longer pieces, usually interesting and well done.  I’ll miss him.

But the one I miss the most is Frank Rich.  He was the best.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home