Saturday, August 29, 2009

Carelli-Pinkerton Blog Cancelled

I will not be posting the rest of the Carelli/Pinkerton trial story on this blogsite, and I am removing what has already been posted on this subject.

I am taking this action in response to comments by members of Milo Hoskins’ family. It was never my intention to cause additional pain to people who have suffered and are suffering from a devastating loss. But whether I intended it or not is irrelevant. What I wrote caused more pain. I am responsible. And I am deeply sorry that my words have been hurtful. For that I apologize and ask forgiveness.

My purpose was to tell a story that I thought would have relevance beyond the people immediately involved. There are lessons to be learned from the events that began in 2007 and continue to this day. These lessons have to do with our criminal justice system, the police, the media, how it looks from a juror’s point of view, the impact of a crime on the people affected, the power of the Internet, and more. I haven’t yet written about what we can learn from the death of Milo Hoskins and the subsequent trial. I will, but I won’t post it on this website.

The style I used to tell this story exacerbated the hurt that it caused. I know that. While the hurt was not deliberate, the style was. I write for a large audience. For people to stay interested they need to be interested. In this case I wrote dispassionately. I didn’t want to write as an advocate. At times I’ve been glib, seemingly uncaring. And certainly harsh on some people. All that was by design.

I wrote as if this were a memoir, which means it is what I remember and thought. While I did not deliberately falsify anything, what I wrote does not purport to be "the truth." It’s just what I think. Did I get some things wrong? I’m sure I did. For instance, I now know that the courtroom I described when Carelli testified was, in fact, the courtroom during closing arguments. How I characterized people and situations is not the truth; it’s just what I think and remember.

I honor and respect the judge, the courtroom staff, the lawyers, the jurors, and many witnesses. I do not honor and respect those who lied. You know who you are.

You may not agree with the verdict rendered by this jury. That’s your prerogative. But there wasn’t a person in that jury room who didn’t approach their responsibilities as caring human beings and with integrity.

The trial got under our skins. Many of us were obsessed with it. It got into our heads.

We didn’t reach the decision many would have liked. For the record, race had nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing. I know some will argue otherwise no matter what I say. So be it.

I am going to finish this story. For those who want to know what I have to say, please send an email to cpblog54@gmail.com and I’ll forward it to you when it’s ready.

Again, to Milo Hoskins’ family and friends, I regret the pain I’ve caused. I hope the future is good to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home