Friday, December 15, 2006

Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera has launched an international English language channel that can be seen in the U.S. Except it can’t.

I guess if you have access to an overseas satellite that carries the channel you could see it. But in this country almost all of us get our TV through cable systems or satellite providers like DISH and DirecTV. And it is my understanding that none of these American communication outlets will offer Al Jazeera, even for subscribers willing to pay a hefty monthly fee for the privilege.

The reasons are obvious. Al Jazeera is said to broadcast the news through an Arab and/or Muslim prism. It is said to be anti-American. It is said to be sympathetic to the terrorists. Etc. Etc.

I say, “So what?” Are we so fragile or fearful that we can’t bear to hear a point of view that doesn’t agree with ours? I guess so. Are our business leaders so afraid of commercial or government reprisal that they can’t risk putting Al Jazeera on the air? I guess so. Is it better to hide our heads in the sand (and Arab desert sand at that) rather than endorse free speech for those considered to be the enemy? I guess so.

I doubt I’d sign up for Al Jazeera even if it were available. I’m just not interested enough. But I’d like the choice. I’d like to be able to say ‘no’ rather than have the thought police tell me ‘no.’

Isn’t there something in the first amendment to the Constitution about freedom of expression? Or am I remembering wrong? Well, it could be argued, Al Jazeera is free to express itself. Just not here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home