Thursday, July 10, 2008

No Place To Go

I like to follow the news. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. And during a political season I particularly like to follow political news. So every day when I’m not doing anything else I turn on TV to check out the news. And every day I get pissed off at what I see on the tube.

Except for Charlie Rose, who is like a breath of fresh air, there is no place to go to find a balanced, informative discussion about politics or anything else for that matter.

I usually start with MSNBC because their views are in tune with mine. Which, of course, is the problem. I shouldn’t be listening just because I can find someone who agrees with me. Their partisanship is boring.

I then go to CNN. Once in a while there will be a reporter worth watching, someone like Christiane Amanpour. But usually it is something insipid or people on different sides of an issue yelling at each other.

Headline News is similar, except their stories are often of no interest to me or I’m already familiar with the news they’re covering.

Fox is at the other end of the continuum from MSNBC. I usually disagree with everything they have to say. Since their bias isn’t to my liking, from time to time out of desperation I may check them out, but rarely do I linger for more than a few moments.

In a way, during the day CNBC is a refuge. While they may be yelling at each other, it is about financial issues and usually I either don’t know or care about the subject they’re covering. So it is less offensive.

Like I say, there is no place to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home