Thursday, June 07, 2007

Falling Behind?

I’m not a technophobe. I like to be current with how the world works. I’m not afraid of new things.

Yet, I have the feeling I’m falling way behind the curve in terms of modern living. Am I, like, old fashioned?

Here’s what I mean:

I don’t have an iPod.
I’ve never played a video game.
I have a cell phone, but keep it in the car for emergencies.
My cell phone only makes calls. It doesn’t take pictures, play music or access the Internet.
I don’t have a PDA.
I don’t use Instant Messaging.
I don’t have a camera attached to my PC. And I only have a PC, not a laptop.
I just recently bought a digital camera.
I don’t have earphones.

And there must be more.

I think that if I was working and traveling a lot I’d want and would have many of these new devices. But I’m not, so I don’t.

Do you think this is an age thing? I don’t think so. But am I kidding myself? Am I resisting something?

I really don’t want to know your personal business. Yet, out in the world I am surrounded by people who look like they’re talking to themselves. They talk loudly and tell me their business, which I’m not interested in. I remember a time when we’d think there was something wrong with people who walked down the street talking to themselves.

And this is not an America-only phenomenon. The other day I was in a train going from Gatwick to Victoria Station in London. Some woman nearby was on her ‘mobile’ telling some friend all the gory details of an operation a mutual acquaintance just had. Disgusting. She went on and on, loudly. I wanted to tell her to shut up, but didn’t.

I like to listen to music. So I put on some CDs at dinnertime and run the sound through speakers in the wall. I like to listen to music, but not all day long, through earphones wherever I am. Bouncing up and down.

When I look around I have the uncomfortable feeling I’m out of step – not them. A gray-haired old fogy behind the times. But here’s the thing: I am not envious of them and their toys. I’m happy doing it my way. So that’s what I’ll keep on doing.

I do wonder though. Hummmm. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home